Thursday, June 12, 2008

They Don't Teach That On Sesame Street

I get asked all the time how many words Hadley says, and much to many people's disappointment, I can't give an exact number. This is because I don't walk around with a clipboard all day recording everything my child says. But of the list of words such as "ball, pasta, baseball, Starbucks (that's right, she knows Starbucks), library....." I can now add "stupid train" and "oh crap" to the list.

Yesterday Hadley started asking for "Da da" around the time he comes home, but his train was late. I told her that Daddy would be a little late, but he'd be home soon. She continued to ask for him as she stood by the door wondering where he was. I said, "Daddy's train is late. Stupid train!" And it took off from there. Hadley began repeating the phrase over and over again while she played with her toys. It was a very proud moment for me. Thankfully she hasn't said it again today.

But that's OK because if I didn't learn my lesson yesterday, I certainly was reminded of it today. We were in the car and Hadley was asking for her "OG" (her pacifier). I reached into my purse thinking I brought one along, and realized I did not. "Oh crap." I said. And another proud moment was born as I got to hear the phrase repeated over and over again. Oh crap, indeed.

In hopes that Hadley will forget these phrases, I took her to the library this morning where there are lots and lots of great words to learn. Here she is looking at and organizing books.
She is saying, "Booka!" in this picture. She used to just say "book" but apparently it's more festive to say "Booka." Sort of like "Opa!'

"Hmmm....these look like good reads."

And here she is starting her very careful system of reading her books. Hadley does this each time we go to the library. She picks out some books, goes to a table and sits down. Then she'll read one book and carefully create a pile to keep all the finished books on.Here's a video of her and her system. (No, I did not teach her to do this. The child just has good sense.)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Today doctor asked how many words Erin knows - he said she should say 5-8 words. I got to counting tonight and I think it's more like 15 - I'm going to start a list.

When Luke was Hadley's age he walked into his bedroom, stopped, put his hand on his mouth and said "Oh, my God!" Too much Extreme Home Makeover. We had a little conversation after that - he now says "Oh, my!"