Monday, September 15, 2008

Exercise Class

Today was Hadley's first day at "Funfit," a class we signed her up for through the county. It never ceases to amaze me how comfortable the child is trying new things, and this class was no exception. As it is in just about everything we go to, all the other kids stick by their moms, but Hadley is either in the center of the circle, or across the room from me. Remember this picture?


Nothing's changed except that she is more mobile and can now push me away as well as run so she can do everything by herself. "Do it self" as she says.
We started the class with a hello song where you sing and wave to each other. Hadley wasn't interested in that, and kept swatting my hands to stop me from singing and doing the motions. Her embarrassment of me has apparently started early. But after we sang, we started running around, playing with a huge parachute, and lots of bouncy balls. Hadley loved that. She was very attentive to what the teacher was telling her to do and did a good job of making sure all the other kids had enough balls to play with. We also played with hoola hoops, and marched with musical instruments although Hadley was annoyed that there was not a violin in the box to play. (Last week, Elmo played the violin on Sesame Street so Hadley thinks that is the best instrument around.) At the end of the class, the teacher asked if the kids wanted to get their hand stamped, and Hadley bolted to the front of the gym waiting to get a bunny stamp on her hand. She was very proud of that stamp, and it was hard not to wash it off everytime we washed our hands today.


The pictures I took are during the "free play" part of the class. I wish I could have taken pictures of the more organized activities, but it was a little difficult to watch Hadley and take a picture at the same time. Plus, I'm a little more self-conscious then my daughter and didn't want to make a spectacle of myself. I'll try and take better pictures at the next classes.


One of Hadley's favorite phrases is, "It's good to share." Here she is doing just that.




Of course, right after she gave some of the balls away, she picked up three more and proudly showed me.



Hadley hadn't played with a hoola hoop yet, but had a great time today figuring it out. She used it as a steering wheel, an airplane, and a big tire

After the class, it was such a nice day out that we sat outside on the benches and had a little snack.



No comments: