Monday, April 20, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away

We had such a beautiful weekend that it is a complete disappointment for Monday to come along and dump rain on us. It is so much more difficult to get the kids in and out of the car when it's raining, so today we stayed inside. This turned out ot be the right choice because last night we were at McGinty's Pub hanging out with some old Notre Dame friends and the girls were out a bit past their bed time. Harper came close to losing her mind while we literally had to pull Hadley off of the dance floor. At any rate, the girls needed some long naps and relaxation today.

But what do you do when you're inside all day after a weekend of sunshine? Here's a little game I like to call: "Spoon water into ice cube trays and see how long it entertains a 2 year old."





This kept Hadley entertained for about 40 minutes. Quite successful if you ask me. We did this last week with food coloring but it was such a mess I didn't want to do it again so I was hoping Hadley would be just as content to simply play with water.

Here's a little video of the activity. I apologize if you happen to get dizzy while viewing. I thought I'd get Harper as well and I was holding her so the camera gets a little shaky.






While this was fun activity, what Hadley worked on until lunch time was the empty coffee pot box that I gave her. I had to buy a new one this weekend because the one I had sounded like it was going to blow up Friday morning when I pushed the "start" button. It wasn't so much scary to know that it was broken as it was to know that I might not be able to drink my coffee. Anyway, I got another one so I won't have to be scared like that again. And Hadley had a great time coloring and putting Dora stickers on the box.


Here's another video of Hadley singing her own version of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." She's begun to make up new verses or endings of the songs she knows.



And here's one more picture of Harper on her tummy. She is so close to rolling over. I remember watching Hadley and cheering her on while she tried to so hard to roll over, and Harper is doing the same thing. You start to wonder how they are ever going to do it.


I'll leave you with one more anecdote about Hadley. Recently, I've been trying to find some books to read to her to introduce Jesus and the stories of the Bible. For about three weeks now I've been reading her All Things Bright and Beautiful which I can tell Hadley enjoys because we talk about each picture in detail. As many of you fine Christian readers know, part of the song goes like this, "The Lord God made them all." The other day Hadley pointed to the girl in the picture and asked, "Is that God?" I told her no, the girl wasn't God. Then she pointed to the dog next to the girl and asked, "Is that God?" Again, I said no. After a minute she said, "Well where is He?"

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Too cute! Thanks for making me smile!

Unknown said...

oh my word. I cannot get over Harper's eyes!
and I love Hadley's version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. :)

Valerie said...

You have such adorable girls! I sure would like to meet them in person. I like the ice cube tray game, I'll have to keep that in mind when I run out of things for Joshua to play.