Monday, November 16, 2009

Single Digits

We weren't able to have a decent birthday party for Harper last Monday because we were traveling back from the midwest, so we celebrated Harper's birthday last Friday night. And I haven't had the time to post any pictures or write about it because I've been busy eating bon bons and watching soaps. So please forgive the fact that Harper is almost 1 year and two weeks old as I post this.

We went out to eat on Friday and came home for cake and presents. I made a ginger molasses cake that people seemed to enjoy, and our condo didn't burn down so I consider it a success.

Apparently Harper thought it'd be more fun to take little bits off of her piece and line it up on the tray instead of eating it. She eventually ate the cake, but she likes to check things out before she takes action.

Here's a picture of the birthday girl and her daddy:
And here's some shots of the girls playing with Harper's new kitchen:


This was a little difficult for Hadley to understand that this was Harper's gift as you might imagine. In all fairness, Hadley wants to share but she doesn't always understand the concept. Plus, both of the girls are so hard headed and have this idea of what they want to do, that makes it difficult to play together because the other is constantly getting in the way. So there were some tears, but we all dealt with it. However, Hadley frequently asks before she goes to sleep, "Am I going to have a birthday tomorrow?"

"How can I prepare your eggs for you?"


"Salt makes everything taste better!"
"What do you mean it's time for bed? What am I going to do about the souffle?"
On Harper's birthday I updated my Facebook status saying, "Happy Birthday to my drama queen Harper. I wonder where she gets it from." Getting to know Harper this year is a lesson (and probably a reminder) of the kind of person I am as well. Harper takes her time with everything, and if she doesn't want to do something, she's not going to do it. Under any circumstances.
If she's done eating, she will swat the spoon (full of food) out of her way, usually splattering the wall, table, high chair, a parent, and herself with whatever was being served. She does this without warning. She could be in a good mood or a bad mood. It makes no difference. That's how she says she done.
Harper likes to put tops, lids, caps, on things. She also likes to open and close things. However, if she puts a lid on something and can't open it up, she will SCREAM until someone comes over to help her. Her legs go straight out, her fists clench, the little veins in her neck pop out, and the noise that comes out sounds similar to something out of Jurassic Park. Again, she could be in a good mood or a bad mood. It makes no difference. That's how she says, "I need some assistance, STAT."
Clearly I don't behave this specific way, but what I see that Harper has inherited from me is her extreme lack of patience and her unbridled temper. Some people call it being a "passionate" person, and on our good days, Harper and I are full of passion. But there will be days when we take each other down, and that's why it is good that there are the Hadleys and Jesses of the world. They balance us out (or tune us out), and make us see that there are other ways to express your point then throwing food on the wall.
But Harper is now 1, and I am so proud of all the things she can do: clap her hands, crawl like she's on fire, take her shoes and socks off in a split second, laugh and babble, and most importantly, bring even more personality into our family. She is my girl, and I am thankful that I get to be her mother.

No comments: