Tuesday, January 15, 2008

hx - 4 = y

It is 4pm and this is what Hadley is doing (see above picture). She has been asleep for 20 minutes now after AN HOUR AND A HALF of fighting with me to take a nap. This is why I hate numbers. For most of Hadley's existence, we've stuck to the following formula: wake up in the morning and two hours after that, take a nap. Wake up from the morning nap and three hours after that, take an afternoon nap. That was the plan today but the baby wasn't on board.

All those years of me shouting out in agony while doing algebra, "When will I EVER need this?" The appropriate response should've been: "Because when your child won't go to sleep like you planned you will remember the days sitting at your desk, your #2 pencil down to a dull nub, your eraser scratched to the metal, and your notebook paper shredded through, and you will once again feel the utter frustration of 'following the directions' and not getting the result you are supposed to get." If Algebra prepared me for anything it was for becoming a mother.

And don't think I haven't been calculating when Hadley will go to bed once she wakes up from her insanely late nap. Here's what's been going on in my head the last 20 minutes: "Maybe I'll just wake her up in an hour, that way she'll go to bed at a decent hour.....Wait, that's not a good idea because last time I did that she was cranky the rest of the night and slept terribly all night.....But she has to go to sleep by 7:30 because I need to keep her on a schedule! That's what the book says! And we have Bible study tomorrow so I have to make sure she gets up in time for us to go to that......"

I'm sure those of you reading this are thinking, "Sheesh! Why doesn't Callie just relax?" Well, dear friends, because "relax" is not in my vocabulary. To relax is to have a well -thought out plan along with a back - up plan for when the first plan doesn't work out.

Hadley's first sentence is going to be: "My mommy's crazy."


No comments: