Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Waiting for "Why? Why? Why? Why?"

I have been waiting for the stage when Hadley asks "Why?" to everything I say, and it could still be coming, but right now Hadley asks, "Where is it from?" or "What kind of (insert object) is it?" For example, if I tell Hadley that it is time to change her diaper she'll ask, "Where is it from?" I'll tell her that the diapers are from Target and usually this response is satisfying and we can move on with our day. But here's an example of a conversation Hadley and I have on a daily basis:
Me: Here's a spoon for your applesauce.
Hadley: What kind of spoon is it?
Me: It's a purple spoon.
Hadley: What kind of purple spoon?
Me: It's a purple spoon that we got at the grocery store.
Hadley: What kind of purple spoon from the grocery store?
Me: It's a purple spoon that we got at the grocery store so you can eat your applesauce with.
Hadley: What kind of purple spoon from the grocery store to eat my applesauce with?
Me: _____________________________
I feel like I'm in a Dr. Seuss book. This conversation can happen with any object at any time. And it goes on, and on, and on. It only stops when I forget all the things we are listing or change the subject ("Look, Hadley! The garbage truck is here!").

Anyway, here's a short video of Hadley feeding Big Bird. Good thing it's not Harper.

2 comments:

Knit4Fun said...

Patience... this is so funny - thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see you guys!

starbird said...

Oh wow...!