Saturday, January 22, 2011

Go, Hadley Go! Go, Hadley Go!

Hadley and I had our first experience at a little establishment called MyGym yesterday evening (GASP!  You've never been to MyGym?!?!?!  What kind of parent are you, anyway, Callie?). 

This was the scene as Hadley and I entered.

It's like Heaven to a 4 year old, right?  What could possibly be cooler than this?  Do you see Hadley waaayy back there?  She's in the red sweatshirt climbing up a ladder.  She's about to get into a huge pool of balls.  Oh, how I miss being able to get to play in that.  And oh, how I hoped so badly that Hadley would need me to come and rescue her so I could do a big canon-ball jump into that pool.  One day, we will have that in our home.  I will never not think thousands of colored balls in a big pool is not super fun. 

So this was for a birthday party for one of Hadley's classmates.  Next time Hadley is invited to a birthday party, I'm not telling her about it until 5 minutes before we leave.  Hadley knew about this party for about 15 days before it happened, and EVERY DAY we had to discuss when it was, what we would do, who would be there.  And my favorite?  Whether or not I would TALK while I was there. 

"Mama, are you sure you have to stay at the birthday party?"

"Yes, Hadley.  I am pretty sure I'm supposed to stay."

"OK, but can you not talk too much?"

"Yes, Hadley.  I will stand in a corner and not say a word." 

It's what I do anyway.

Note that these kids have no socks on.  That is the rule to prevent slipping and sliding as they run amok in this play area.  This was quite helpful for me because earlier this week, Hadley was telling me about one of her classmates.  We'll call him Bud because I'm feeling like a Huxtable.  Here's a conversation that Hadley told me about Bud earlier this week:

"Mama?  I have to tell you something that I'm shy about."

"OK."

"Bud doesn't have 10 toes."

You know what I did?  I started laughing.  And I couldn't stop.  I was laughing so hard I was crying.  And Hadley was not impressed.

"Mama, it's not funny."

Anyway, Bud was at the party and I happened to check to see that he in fact has all his toes.  I'm not sure where Hadley got this information from, but I believe this is not the last thing I will be completely confused about when she talks about her friends.

Here is the highlight of the evening.  For me, anyway.

It turns out that I probably didn't need to stay for the party.  The thing is, though, that watching Hadley in this kind of situation is fascinating.  As long as I can sneak a peak into her social life, I'm going to do it. 

On an etiquette note, as we were driving over to the party, Hadley said to me: "Mama, I'm not gonna pick my nose at the birthday party because it's not nice."

"That's good, Hadley.  I'm glad to know that."

"Yea.  It's not nice, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings."

Right, because picking your nose is truly harmful to others.  Going around telling people that you know a kid that doesn't have 10 toes?  That doesn't do any damage at all.

11 comments:

Tara Shuple said...

Okay so I am giggling so loud everyone downstairs is yelling up "what is so funny!!?"...yup. There are so many things about this post that make me smile I am not even going to pick my favorite!!

Valerie said...

Poor Buuuud...I wonder how many other people think he has less than 10 toes? That's so funny.

I hope I get to watch Joshua in these situations too. I wonder if he'll ask me not to talk?

Carolee Hollenback said...

That is too funny!

Now around here the kids have to wear socks. I had to go some at Sears so my grandson could play in one last summer.

I have a few blogs:

Blogging biz mom

Working at home advice

Come on Home

Carolee Hollenback said...

That is too funny!

Now around here the kids have to wear socks. I had to go some at Sears so my grandson could play in one last summer.

I have a few blogs:

Blogging biz mom

Working at home advice

Come on Home

Always Kara said...

Too cute! New follower through Bloggy Moms!

Brea said...

Okay...I have tears running down my cheeks! LOL Poor Bud! Glad that the nose-picking is under control ;)

New follower here from Bloggy Moms :) SO glad I found you!!

Brea
www.becomingbrea.com

Hyde said...

Hahaha so cute!
New follower
http://www.adventuresofamnmom.com/

Meg said...

Hilarious! I love watching Vivian with other kids and I can't wait until she tells me that she's not going to pick her nose anymore.

Suzanne said...

Found you from MBC and wanted to say hi! I like your profile statement (about what you want to be when you grow up!)

All I can say is 'outta the mouths of babes...' with 3 kids, I hear everything! :)

Quirky Homemaker said...

Cute! Love the comment about "not talking too much". Following you back!
Michelle
http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.blogspot.com

Kristin Novotny said...

"We'll call him Bud because I'm feeling like a Huxtable." haha, love it!!

Kristin
http://littlemamajama.blogspot.com