Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day Weekend

The festivities started on Thursday afternoon when Hadley and I made my special coconut cupcakes for Jesse. (They are actually Ina Garten's special coconut cupcakes, but she wasn't in the kitchen with a toddler baking them. She just gave me the recipe.) Here's Hadley helping me frost one batch:
And this picture is of Hadley just before she took a bite of the frosting. Needless to say, we had to use several knives to spread the frosting because Hadley kept eating it. She would've eaten the entire bowl if I let her. The frosting has a half a pound of cream cheese in it, and almost a pound of butter, plus powdered sugar. But don't be fooled. Your butt actually gets smaller when eating the cupcakes.



On Friday, Jesse and I went out for sushi and left the girls with our babysitter. Harper was already sleeping and Hadley went down shortly after the babysitter came over. But it was a success, and we had a great time.

Saturday we went out for breakfast at a place that has "Mosaic" in the title, but I can't remember the name of the place. It's in Rockville, and it was pretty tasty. Everybody got the waffles except for Harper who was content to eat her oatmeal a fruit.

Here are a couple of Hadley and her Daddy:

Hadley was quite impressed by her waffle. I cut some small pieces up for her, but she kept asking me if she could "take a bite of the big guy," meaning the large part of the waffle.



She was also very happy to have syrup. She asked a lot of questions about syrup the rest of the day. "Do we drink syrup?" "What else do we put syrup on?" "Do we put syrup on bread?" "Do we put syrup on cheese?" You get the idea. At dinner that evening, Hadley asked me if she could put syrup on her vegetables. I said no because she's not Walter Cunningham.

Sunday we went to church and then over to a filafel shop that Jesse had his eye on for awhile. We ate lunch there, and then both the girls took very long naps which I'm sure was an appreciated Father's Day bonus.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'd like some butt-shrinking frosting, please! And the location of the falafel shop - was it any good?

I admire you just because your floor is clean enough to allow your daughter to frost cupcakes on it.

And, dang, Callie. You have cute kids.

Valerie said...

Hey! Can you post that recipe, the cupcakes sound very yummy!

MLE said...

Anyone who can tie in an allusion to "To Kill a Mockingbird" in the middle of a blog about her kids is my hero. :)

(Katie's sister, Emily)