Thursday, June 11, 2009

Love Divine, All Loves Excelling

On May 31, Harper was baptised and we were happy to have both our families present for the occasion. It was a beautiful day and both girls did quite well when they were at the pulpit. Here's a picture of the four of us before we went into the church. Harper is wearing the dress that her Aunt Mallory, my sister-in-law, wore at her baptism. I was happy Harper could wear it (Hadley didn't fit into the dress because she was 11 months old when she was baptised).

After the service, the church had cake outside and Hadley was thrilled to have a piece.


Here's another picture of Hadley in her dress. I think she is doing ballet in this picture (well, what she would call ballet). She is really into doing ballet because Zoe on Sesame Street does ballet and wears a tutu.



Harper was pretty tired out after the events. While we were outside talking with everyone, she fell asleep while I was holding her which she never does.

Here she is trying to make the best of the situation.

And here she is conked out.


I believe there were a couple of pictures taken of the entire crew, but I didn't take the camera along so I apologize for not recognizing in a picture that both of our families were here. We were very appreciative they made the trip out to DC for Harper.

Our pastor asked us which hymn we would like sung after the baptism, and we chose "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" for a couple of reasons. It is one of our favorites (only second to "Peace Like a River" but I didn't think that would be an appropriate one to sing at a baptism), and it was the hymn that we sang at Hadley's baptism and our wedding. I like that that this hymn bonds the three events together.

I'm not one to take advice easily on how to manage or take care of my children. I think I like to figure it out for myself, or with Jesse. However, it was hard not to feel thankful that the members of our church as well as our families were present during the prayer our pastor prayed:

"Gracious God and heavenly Father, we thank you that you make us new persons in Jesus Christ through grace alone. We pray for Harper. Bless and strengthen her daily with the gift of your Holy Spirit. Unfold to her the riches of your love. Deepen Harper's faith. Keep her from the power of evil. Enable her to live a holy and blameless life until your kingdom comes. Look with kindness on Jesse and Callie. Let them always rejoice in the gift you have given them. Grant Jesse and Callie the presence of your Holy Spirit, that they may bring up Harper to know you, love you, and serve you and her neighbor, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen."


No comments: