Monday, November 8, 2010

It Should be called "Daylight Wasting Time"



I have a vivid memory of sitting at my desk at Longfellow Elementary School, looking at the clock on a day or two after Daylights Savings occured.  I was thinking, "Last week at this time, we would've been eating lunch but now we have to wait a whole hour."  Or, "If it were last week, I would've been finished with this long division worksheet and on to the next thing."  (I'm not sure that is true.  I don't know if I've ever finished a long division worksheet no matter how much time I've had.  It's a wonder I made it to high school.)

This desire to get things done (or eat) isn't something that has crept up over time with the stress of term papers or jobs, or whatever.  I was born with it.  So when Daylights Savings comes around and everyone is hooting and hollering about that extra hour of sleep, I'm thinking, "Sleep?  Why would I want to sleep? I could get so much more done!"  It's sick, but it's who I am. 

I appreciate that Jesse has this same issue.  He and I both got up early on Sunday morning with the giddiness of getting things done.  The thing is, the other two members in the family had items on their agenda as well, and woke up early too.  So Sunday ended up looking something like this:
And this:

Getting things done indeed.

While we're thinking about checking off items on a list, organizing, and that sort of thing, I have been asked to write a product review for Oliver's Labels.  This is a company that makes labels for kids' stuff.  You name it, they have a label for it.  I was particularly interested in trying these labels out because now that Hadley is in school, I have to label everything.  Lunchboxes, shoes, jackets, gloves, hats, extra clothing, etc.  I am not used to this.  When we get "gentle reminders" sent home saying, "Make sure you label your kids' stuff", they are talking directly to me.

So I was able to test these guys out on Hadley's stuff and see whether they stand the test of a preschoolers' way of life. 

The "Stick-Eez" Clothing Labels work well and you can run them through the washing machine and dryer.

The original labels can go on things that you want to run through the dishwasher, or put in the fridge.
And these are my favorite:
Note that their shoe labels are in the shape of feet!  I think that's so cute!  Oliver's Labels suggested I use the right sticker for the right shoe, and the left sitcker for the left shoe, but I was too excited about the cuteness of the labels and just stuck them on Hadley's shoes without thinking.  So far, it hasn't been a problem for Hadley.

Another nice feature that this company provides is stickers for food allergies.  You can order labels that say "no nuts," "no dairy," etc.  Plus, there are several designs to choose from.  I had a hard time deciding between the "Animal Faces" and the design that is in the pictures above.

The nicest thing for me, though, is that I don't have to write Hadley's name on everything with a Sharpie.  My handwriting ends up looking like I was writing my daughter's name while in a hurricane.  You just slap these on and you're good to go.  Haven't you always wanted to be good to go?

So for those parents who need to keep track of their kids' things, you might like to hop over to Oliver's Labels and check out their product.  After all, you have that extra hour now.

[Product review & giveaway disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."]

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Ugh, I can relate to the labeling. It's starts as a newborn at Appletree.

And can I just say that the feet on the wrong shoes cracked me up?