Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quest To See Ten Animals

Yesterday morning I took the girls to the zoo.  It was meant to be a little surprise because I wanted to do something to celebrate Hadley being 3 and 1/2 and Harper (almost) being 1 and 1/2.   When Hadley woke up today I told her what we were doing, and she said, "I want to see ten animals today."  So that's what we attempted to do.

Hadley requested we start with the cows.  This worked out perfectly because I always park near the cows, and Hadley could see him/her as we drove up to our parking spot.




We also saw the donkeys.

When you are members of the zoo, you get a free bag of cookies every time you visit,  Even though we got there at the crack of dawn, the girls wanted the cookies, so on our way up to see the lions, we got our goodie bags.

The lions were in fine form yesterday morning.  The were roaring away, and this was a great thing for the girls because they love to roar!  I think it started one day when Hadley was playing with something that Harper wanted to play with.  In an attempt to scare her off, Hadley yelled, "ROAR!"  But Harper just laughed and then roared back.  Now they just roar at each other and giggle.





We saw the chimpanzees and gorillas next.  We had to go inside the building to see the gorillas, so I put Harper on the - what I hate to call it but that's what it is - leash.  Hadley wanted to be the one to hold it and you can only imagine the kinds of problems this would cause.





Here's Hadley with the leash.  I took a shot before you know what broke loose. 

We went to see the elephants, but they weren't around.  Hadley told me it was because they had no fur and it was too cold to be outside.  With the amount of knowledge I have regarding animals, she could've been right.  Anyway, at this point Hadley suggested we go to the park, so we headed in that direction.
We made a stop to see the little turtles swimming which was quite entertaining for the girls.  They were pretty cute.


Another mom (who had two girls as well) offered to take a picture of the three of us.  It didn't turn out great, but I'll post it here anyway.

Harper's taking the clip out of her hair, and Hadley's trying to talk to the little girl whose mom is taking the picture.  Oh well.
We saw the prairie dogs on the way to the park, so I think that put our number of animals we saw to six.  However, we did have a long discussion about T-Rexes and whether or not they're still roaming around.  Hadley saw a T-Rex skull and it really, really scared her.  She gasped when she saw it.  I told her they aren't around anymore so she didn't need to worry about it.  But we talked about the T-Rex for a long time after that.  She kept telling me, "I just don't like dinosaurs, mom." 
We also discussed bees and wasps for awhile, too.  Hadley wondered if they'd be at the zoo, and I told her it was pretty likely that they would be there.  She didn't like that, but I told her that they wouldn't bother us. Unfortunately, I am fully to blame for Hadley's fear of bees.  It is a learned behavior, and I've taught it to her magnificently.

For those of you who might be interested, this is the spot where Jennifer Garner's little girl and Hadley were taking turns sliding down this block of "cheese" a few spring's ago.  Harper was technically there too, but I don't think she remembers it.  I couldn't figure out why everyone was taking pictures of Hadley and her little girl.  I thought, "I know my kid is cute and everything, but this is ridiculous."  I didn't realize who it was at that point.


The girls were standing on these pizza toppings singing and dancing.  I was going to take a video, but I can't figure out how to put videos on this blog anymore.  I'm sure there is a way to do it, but currently I don't see the little button for "post a video" anymore.  So you'll have to imagine Harper stomping and Hadley shaking her hips. 

We had a fun time, the three of us. 


No comments: