Monday, October 25, 2010

So Long, Three

I don't know how long it'll last, but every year since Hadley's been born I start remembering what I was doing X years ago at that time.  Around the teens of October I start to say, "Right around this time I was down to wearing Jesse's old workshirts because that's all that fit."  Or, "Oh yeah, today is the day that I called Jesse up crying because I couldn't get my left shoe tied and I didn't know how I was going to leave the house with just one shoe on."  As the 23rd gets closer, the memories become more vivid.  I remember on the 22nd, which was a Sunday, Jesse and I ate breakfast on our porch and read The Washington Post.  I remember reading an article about the guy who writes cartoons for Doonsbury. Since I knew that I was going to be induced the next day, I would ask Jesse things like, "What do you think we'll be doing at this time tomorrow?"  He would humor me and come up with some kind of response, and every time I asked, "Do you think it'll be over by this time tomorrow?"  He would always say, "Oh yea, definetely."

It almost feels irreverent not to take pause on the 23rd of October and marvel at all that happened the day I first met Hadley.  So I kept watch of the clock and noted what I was doing 4 years ago on the 23rd: Staring at the recieving blanket and hat draped across the baby table next to where I was, pressing the button that increases the "juice" for the epidural, eating an ice chip and thinking it was the tastiest thing God created, and of course, holding Hadley for the first time.  I remember when the doctor asked me what her name was, I was thinking, "Don't you know?  It's Hadley!  Have I not said it outloud yet? This is my girl, Hadley."

My mom and dad, and brother and sister-in-law all came this weekend to celebrate Hadley turning 4.  I know Hadley had a fabulous time.  We played with the new toys, did lots of coloring, went to the park, had birthday cake, and took a trip to Port Discovery.  I don't know if Hadley can pick out a favorite time of the weekend.  For me, it was the point when we were driving home from Baltimore and Jesse squeezed my hand when we passed Holy Cross Hospital.  "That's where we were 4 years ago today."  Our travels in and around the Beltway have never been the same since.

Here are some pictures of the weekend:

Trying to make the world's largest bubble in the Water Room at Port Discovery.

I think the water room was the girls' favorite room at the museum.  Hadley is working on a "will it sink or float" project.
Harper had a good time, too.

So did Jesse.


He's mad at me here because I told him it was time to get out of the darn net and come and eat lunch, for Pete's sake.
And of course, there was birthday cake.  Hadley requested a chocolate cake with "lots of little candles and one big '4' candle."  Check. 
You might think I'm in the middle of singing "Happy Birthday" to my daughter, but what is really happening is I'm saying, "I actually made this with no disaster!  At all!"
Gimme.
You need full concentration when eating cake.  I think Hadley liked it.
I know Harper did.
This is the first time I've seen the kid use a fork. 

I am writing this on the 25th of October.  Four years ago today, we brought Hadley home from the hospital.  I remember driving home and thinking I've never seen such colorful leaves on the trees before.  I remember Jesse putting Hadley, who was sound asleep in her carseat, down in the living room and she immediately started screaming.  I don't think I remember much more about the 25th except that when I think back to those first few days, everything was so new and fresh.  And of all the things that have changed since we've had kids, that is one thing that has stayed the same. 

2 comments:

HeatherH said...

Happy Birthday Hadley! Sounds like it was a great day.

Kellee said...

Such a sweet post...brought me some tears. : )