Monday, August 24, 2009

Midmorning at the Museum

Uncle Geoff came to visit us for the weekend, and accompanied us to the Natural History Museum in DC. This is a great place to take a toddler because there are all sorts of fun things to look at and touch.

Here we are standing in an exhibit that scientists at NOAA developed. Jesse wanted to check it out to make sure everything was up to par.

Of course, it's always exciting to sit in a new chair, no matter where one is.

Looking at bees. Look how brave I am! And don't I look like I'm thoroughly enjoying myself?
Checking out the world's largest caterpillar. He spoke English, Spanish, and a little Latin. The lady is holding out her hand for Hadley to touch it if she wants. It took a bit, but she gave him a little pat pat.

In front of the Capitol.
We took this picture on the way to a Merry-go-Round that Hadley spotted on our way to the museum. She told us she wanted to ride on it. You can imagine the disaster waiting to happen we all thought that experience was going to be since you can't get off of it once it starts. But Hadley and I got on together and she enjoyed herself for the most part. There was one point where she told me she wanted to get off because she was dizzy, and that made me quite nervous, but she must have gotten over it, and I'm relieved to say this won't be an entry about being thrown up on.

Having an in-depth conversation about the way this thing works. Don't I look like I know what I'm talking about?
On Sunday evening, we went over to a friend's house to splash in their pool and have dinner. Hadley had a very good time playing in the pool and at the water/sand table.


And here's one of Harper...in a stroller. I'm sorry all my recent posts have been of Harper being in a stroller. I promise she isn't always in one.

You can always tell when Harper is really excited when her legs are straight out like this. She loves watching Hadley jump, and I think that's what Hadley was doing when I took this picture. Harper is steadily growing out of her clothes, faster then we can bring the ones we had packed away in. While Hadley weighed more at Harper's age, Harper is longer then Hadley was. Currently, Harper is wearing 12-18 month clothes, and some of them are too tight.

It was a great weekend, and we were back to just the three of us this morning. The girls and I ran some errands then went out for lunch together. On the way home, Hadley started singing, "The Wheels on the Bus" only, instead of a bus it was an ambulance. I joined in and Hadley said, "No, no, no, Mommy. I'm just singing it."
"OK." I said, and Hadley took a deep breath and started over. Then she said, "OK, Mommy, you can sing with me now." So I joined in. We sang this song all the way home until she said, "Mommy? How about you just sing it by yourself?"

No comments: